Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Low cost Taxi Ride

This represented for me the sweetest trotro ride ever. The day is Friday, 2nd May 2008. I was from my girlfriend’s hostel (Danquah Circle), destination – home. At first sight the bus looked like any ordinary one. Suddenly it slipped from the mate’s mouth that they will be going to Odorkor. Trotro operators usually rip passengers off by dividing their long journey into shorter last stops so that passengers more. Well, this mate had made a mistake and I saw this as an opportunity to get to Odorkor without changing trotros. The mate quickly withdrew Odorkor from his shout outs when he realized the slip so I paid to get to Kaneshie. Kaneshie was not such a bad alternative to Odorkor because Sowutuom buses LOAD (stop for passengers to board). Therefore, to me it was still a great ride.

I must say that I was not ready for what happened next. At circle, the mate started calling out for Odorkor, Kwashieman, Santa Maria ……… and Sowutuom. I really taught I was dreaming. I could not believe it. And come to think about it I almost didn’t board this trotro. I quickly called the mate to verify what I heard and if true pay quickly before they changed their minds. Can you imagine: it was true. I was going to sit in the same trotro from my girlfriend’s hostel to my house. This was officially my first “trotro taxi” from my girlfriend’s, home and it was just sweet. And do you know the best part about all this? The driver was not like most trotro drivers who wait and wait and wait and wait at bus stops to get the bus full. He only stopped when there were passengers to be picked up. He did not keep long at bus stops. It was just an excellent.

I got home in a record time of 45 minutes. This was unprecedented. It just made my whole night. J . My trotro journeys from my girlfriend’s to my house usually take at least 1 hour.

I wish this could happen to me every night.

Hmmm....

No comments: