Monday, April 28, 2008

Green-horn Mate in the City

My life currently rotates around my family, girlfriend, church and ministry (I love singing), work and “the others” (these consist of the set of undefined stuff in my life). Currently, work takes most of my time which I know is most likely the same for you. Therefore most of my writing will be based on my trips from home to work and vice versa. I will endeavour to begin every entry with my start location and destination. I guess you are wondering where home is. I live in Sowutuom (if you don’t know where it is assume that it is far from work - Labone)

These events occurred on the 26th of April 2008. I was from my girlfriend’s hostel going home at about 21:30. As usual I had to use three trotros. The first was from Danquah circle to Kwame Nkrumah Circle. It was a quiet and peaceful journey. I was very excited to be the last to board my second trotro because that meant zero waiting time. This however turned into a not so nice ride. I could not tell whether the conductor (locally called mate) had something bitter in his mouth. I bet that his looks could cause a laughing baby to cry. I suspected the journey may get a bit uncomfortable because I was sitting in the way of everyone who will want to get down so I got down earlier that I had paid.

My final trotro was the most interesting for the day. The mate looked really timid and new to his job. I later discovered that he had just come from Takoradi. He just could not get the balance between when to call for passengers and when to collect the monies of those already in the bus. He also could not tell new passengers from old ones. Therefore, he usually tried to out-smart the unpaid by asking, “YES! Bring your monies.” He almost gave away GH 1 to a hawker while in traffic because he wanted coins. He was saved by a passenger who prompted him not to give the money to the hawker before she gave him the change.

This mate got me thinking about a whole number of things. Is it better to live in the city where you are mostly critical and scrutinizing of other people’s actions or in the village/town where you are more communal, trusting and integrative? Which will you prefer? I think I prefer the earlier because I believe I’ll adjust better in a village setting coming from the city than vice versa.

Which do you PREFER?

No comments: